Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mazir - Airport - where oh where is my driver




July 30th 2011

I don't think I've ever written as much as I have this past month...

I enjoy sharing with you... telling about what's happening... I hope I do it in a way that is at least interesting to read...

It seems like I travel a lot... It's a 6 hour drive from Kabul to my job site.. So I fly.... I have meetings at the office every two or three weeks... I'm not sure when the next meeting is, I think in two weeks.. Its nice to break up the time with some travel... But at the same time travel is nerve wracking, for example I am the only American on the plane... I'm looked at and stared at ... And shunned ... It's hard making your way around the airport with no one speaking your language .. Even at the check in desk I asked a question and they just stared.... ..

I'm actually looking forward to get back at the job site.. It's my home now....

They are getting me an interpreter to work with me, the superintendent and I was in a meeting today and Josh, a VP, had trouble understanding and that's when we discussed the need of an interpreter .. I think it will help in moving things along....

Oh, I went to the Post Office to pick up some mail with josh's wife (my boss) and found out that her whole family is LDS, she had been married in the Temple, but after the divorce left the Church... We had an interesting discussion... She came from a very active family...

Tomorrow is Sunday, it's the day I look forward to the most... I get to go to Church..

I had an interesting interaction the other night with a big burly black man on the base while eating dinner, I was eating, the chair next to me was empty and he ask if he could sit down...
He sat , got comfortable, ready to eat, bowed his head and said a silent prayer on the food.. As we ate No words were said between us... After I finished eating I turned to him and thanked him for his example to me, we talked about religion, we talked about prayer, during our conversation he said..

"I'm not going to let what others think change who I am..."

This comment really has stayed with me, I we all can learn from this...

Ok, just got in from the airport.... Can you believe that someone dropped the ball, no one came to pick me up .. After many calls and 1 1/2 hours later I got picked up... Now let me describe the scene... I arrived at 8pm.. Last flight... It's getting dark...after awhile, I'm kicked out of the safe airport.. I was the Last one there... They locked the gates behind me.... Walk out of the gate away from the guards... Waiting on a dark deserted road, no one around, thinking what am I doing.... I truly was frightened... Very upset, almost angry ... When the car and guard came to get me, I was not a pleasant person... Think about it, They needed a guard to come with them to get me but I was ok to sit there by myself and wait...

Ok, all is well that ends well...

Another experience to write home about........

Scott