Saturday, August 13, 2011

Company Party - Mountains of Kabul






July 29th 2011


Friday was my day off. We had a Company picnic - got together at the owners weekend house about an hours drive outside of Kabul up in the mountains... It was a beautiful Villa at the top of the mountain.. Beautiful park like grounds ... We had a BBQ .. They brought in 10 lambs slaughtered them and we had lamb kabobs ... Very tasty, very fresh, very tender... With it we had Afghan rice...the rice was very good...and Afghan flat bread.... It was a relaxing day...



It was interesting... It was a family day... I would say close to 400 people... They actually had 2 parties, 1 for the men and another for the women.. the women and the men did not co-mingle at all.. I understand that is the custom here.....the women even traveled in different cars...
The drive anywhere is very interesting... Again, no rules... We saw one motor scooter carrying five people... A whole family .... Then we saw a car full of people, a Toyota corolla, with I think 9 people in it and about 4 to 5 kids in the trunk... It was an interesting sight....

I will be flying back to the job site on Saturday night.. I could stay here till Monday because it's a holiday weekend but I really am looking forward to attending Church on Sunday....I'd rather be able to go to Church than hang around in Kabul.

The things we take for granted.... I never knew how truly blessed we are until I came here...from being able to go to Church, our freedoms, to our abundance.... Each of those simple little things mean so much more to me.... And I've only been gone for a short time...
I have a lot of time to reflect on things... I have many regrets... Oh if I could only have a "do over" on a select few of them.... I believe my life (and the life of others) would be so much different.... The small decisions /choices we make in life are so very important... They can change the path we are on in a blink of an eye.... And they affect so many others, not just us... A ripple effect in the life of others... I have Faith that with the Lords help the mistakes of the past can be corrected ....


I am happy.... I really have Faith that things will turn out as they should... Oh sure that Faith is stronger on some days than others....

Things are good.....

1 comment:

  1. Next time you see a Toyota with 9 people in it with 5 kids in the trunk, TAKE A PICTURE! I am totally enjoying seeing the pictures and reading about your life there. Very interesting. What a time of growth.

    ReplyDelete