Monday, August 15, 2011

Kabul to Gardez (7-15)

July 15th, 2011

I had been in Afghanistan for only 5 days.....

Oh how I would like a milk shake right now..... McDonalds sounds like a treat right now....it's funny how you really start to appreciate the little things and I've only been here a week... Like the ability to walk down the street without having an armed guard... Out here on the job site We had an armed guard with a AK47 walking with us and Shaun was carrying his own gun also...

I'm really not sure I've got the right mentality for this... I've been spoiled... I was up for an adventure but ....... .???

Help me have some positive thoughts...

The drive out to the site was quite uneventful... But very interesting... Lots of army patrol... Oh what a diverse country... I've inclosed some pictures taken from the car.... The car ride it's self was a kick... I'm not sure how to describe it except that I think we spent more time on the wrong side of the road than on the right side... Missed a head on accident by inches many times.. Never slowing down...

I'm at the job site.... I'm impressed with the scope of the project and the work being done....
We are making our own masonry block, we have our own concrete batch plant, we make our own gravel and sand, we self perform all of the work.... So it's quite a project....now the living conditions, they are something else, it just a little better than camping ... Or maybe it's camping with air conditioning... The toilets are the mid eastern kind... Just a little better than a hole in the floor ... I'm having a hard time adapting, I'm not sure I can do this long term... This is the first day I'm having my doubts.... I expected something different... I really need some positive encouragement or someone to say come home....

The food here is nothing like I expected... It's Afgan all the way... I'm told my cook will cook what I want but while I'm here this is how Shaun does it..... Lunch was difficult ... I guess when I get hungry enough it won't matter..... Ok maybe I am still a picky eater and I thought I was doing so much better....

It would be different if I was doing this for a us... Building a future for a us by investing in now.... Making a sacrifice because I knew I had something to come home to...to build for, to work for... Oh how I wish that was the case ... Truly it would make it a little easier .... I am near tears after writing this last paragraph because it is what I want so badly..... I truly appreciate more than ever things of great importance that I don't have at this time....and I know that things could have been different if only.......

I pray for courage.... For endurance... I didn't expect to have to pray for these things...

I will overcome these feelings, I'm sure I'm just feeling overwhelmed, it's all new to me... I'm just now getting settled in.... I'm strong and I can do it.... But what will be my reward?

Sorry if I dumped to much of my feelings into this note....

I know your dreaming.... Hope you are getting a good nights sleep... Oh how I wish...... I think you know what I wish for..

Have a great tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment